Saturday, September 13, 2008

Deluged

/
Last night's Bentonville High School football game versus Fort Zumwalt, Mo., High School was hit with a heavy downpour during the first quarter that felt like Hurricane Ike had decided to skip its arrival in South Texas and head straight to Northwest Arkansas. In my 12 years of shooting football I've never had to work in rain like that. Of course I had checked the forecast before heading to the game and was prepared for wet weather. I had a rain parka stuffed in my cargo pants. My camera bag system has built in raincovers you can deploy in case of rain cover. I had a clear plastic bag taped over my camera body with a 70-200mm lens attached, which is the body that this frame was shot with. And, as luck would have it, we had just purchased Think Tank Hydrophobia raincoats for The Morning News' two 400mm f2.8 lenses, of which one I was using last night in Bentonville. Unlike most sports, football is one that is played in any weather condition unless lightning or extremely strong winds are involved. If you don't show up prepared for the kind of weather that hit last night you can surely miss a good shot.

12 comments:

Mark Buffalo said...

Damn. it was raining hard there. I was in Carlisle last night and it didn't rain a drop and the game started at 730 and I left town after doing some stuff for the Searcy paper at 1045 and it never rained once but I was prepared just in case.

Mark

Unknown said...

love this shot. one of those nights when you're glad you're working the desk.

Andy Shupe said...

We got so little rain in West Fork, it was a bummer. I was sporting the sweet garbage bags and everything.

ivester said...

Marc, this is a SWEET shot! Well done!

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Thumbs up from me too on this shot. It's a great weather shot. It's a great sports reaction shot. Combined, it's a killer image.

Marc F. Henning said...

thanks everyone. i knew i had something special as the celebration, combined with the rain, unfolded in front of me. i was really concerned about the focus of the image at the time i shot it. my camera was having a hard time catching and holding focus in the rain. at least the one that mattered was sharp. :)

Unknown said...

this is totally awesome...ive never shot in anything like that

Unknown said...

this is totally awesome...ive never shot in anything like that

Michael said...

That's a crazy amount of rain! Nice shot.

Neemah said...

Wow, great shot! Really tells a story.

Ben Chrisman said...

i LOVE this photo

MJ said...

I was shooting that game for KFSM. Second craziest rain storm I've seen.