Friday, June 6, 2008

Mindoro Take Me Away


We finally leave for the province and Alona's hometown of Mansalay on the island of Mindoro tomorrow (Sunday). The whole reason we've been in Manila for over a week now is the preparation for Sahar's debut (18th birthday party) which happens tonight. I am sick of many things about Manila. While I don't hate the city as a whole, I do hate the traffic,the horrible infamous Manila traffic.


I am sick of riding in taxi cabs.


I am sick of riding on the LRT train in Manila.


I'm not entirely sick of riding in tricycle taxis because I know I'll be riding them around Mindoro alot once we get there.


I am also sick of seeing poverty on a scale that is unimaginable back home. Not sick from a cold, turning my head away point of view. Just sick knowing there are so many things the Philippine government could do about the poverty in their country but don't due to widespread corruption.


This is Alan. I met him after my second day in Manila. I haven't seen him in several days, but I give him as many pesos as I can spare whenever I do see him. He only has one good limb and pulls himself along on a cart on the streets of Makati (Metro Manila). There's nothing I can do for him to help his situation, but the government of this country could surely do something to help him if they weren't padding their own pockets with their tax payers' money.

Yeah, I can't wait to get to Mindoro.

4 comments:

Andy Shupe said...

Marc, this is really amazing to see. Keep it coming, man.

Z-Man said...

Every time I have left America I have felt I should no longer complain about taxes after seeing first hand how people in other parts of the world live compared to my country. I thank God (Uncle Sam) for paved roads and welfare.

Higgins said...

Can't wait to see Sahar's party pics. Bet it was a blast!
Ingat lang.

Neemah said...

Nice stuff Marc. Hope you're at least not sick of the food.