Wednesday, June 25, 2008

We're Safe

No pictures with this update, but I just wanted to let you all know that Alona, Sahar, myself and the rest of our family here in the Philippines are safe. We were in the resort area of Puerto Galera when the typhoon (hurricane) hit Mindoro on Saturday. This is the first chance I've had to get onto the internet since then. We arrived back in Manila this morning and will remain here until we leave for home on Monday.

The typhoon was wicked and I have my own experiences to share when I get home. The SuperFerry that sank was just off the coast of Mindoro in the Tablas Strait between the islands of Mindoro and Romblon. More than 750 people lost their lives when the ship capsized in midst of the typhoon. I know how it is first hand on these ferrys (I've traveled on a ferry three times this trip alone) and most of the passengers were most likely asleep or trying to sleep when the shipped rolled over. I can picture the scene in my mind, how horrible. The entire country is outraged that the ferry even set sail when the ship's company knew the area was under a Signal Three Warning (the highest warning in typhoon conditions).

My Kuya (brother-in-law Nelson) said most of the Filipinos in Mindoro and the other nearby islands, and maybe most of the country as a whole, won't be eating any fish or squid for the next month for fear of ingesting something that might have feasted on a victim of the sinking. Creepy huh? I asked several others the same question and they all confirmed it. Whenever a ship sinks and many lives are lost nobody eats the fish for a while.

I'll have some photos up soon.

8 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

I'm happy to hear that you all are safe. That is pretty creepy about the fish.

Andy Shupe said...

Marc, I am so glad to hear that you are safe and able to return. Post as you can.

Z-Man said...

Glad to know ya'll are all right, Can't wait to see the photos and hear the stories.

ivester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ivester said...

So glad to hear that you and your family are safe. Can't wait to hear the stories when you get back!

BTW, "won't be eating any fish or squid for the next month for fear of ingesting something that might have feasted on a victim of the sinking"
-HOLY CRAP!

Michael said...

Oh my. The idea of being on that ferry is a nightmare. Fortunately you are all OK. Be safe heading back home.

Mark Buffalo said...

Glad it's all ok. Be careful coming home

Robbie Hammer said...

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Safe trip home and look forward to seeing more posts.