Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice Storm (Day 1)

/
I spent the day enterprising looking for feature art relating to the wonderful ice storm we've endured today in Northwest Arkansas. Ice fall varied from between a half an inch to more than an inch across the NWA area. It's being billed as "The Worst In A Decade." As bad as it is, you can't deny the beauty of a landscape coated in ice. Well, that is until your power goes out or you total your vehicle on the treacherous roads.

/
A Bentonville resident works carefully with a hammer to open the door of a friend's vehicle.

/
A Bentonville utility worker knocks ice off of tree limbs hanging too close to power lines.

/
A family from Rogers settles into a Salvation Army shelter in Bentonville after abandoning their home when their electricity went out.

My family and I are fortunate that as of 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday evening we still have electricity. Thousands of residents in our area are without power and I'm sure more outages are yet to come before this is all over. We're crossing our fingers and praying we still have electricity when we wake up in the morning. The lights have flickered several times tonight, but no outage.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Oh my god, it was so cold here today I had to put on a sweater vest over my long sleeve shirt to stay warm. Brrr :)

Cool photos. Makes me very grateful I don't have to deal with the ice. Be safe out there.

Marc F. Henning said...

you mean you didn't put on the 'ol Morning News fleece vest?