Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice Storm (Day 2)

/
It's now Day 2 of the 2009 Ice Storm and by the grace of God we still have power at our home in Bella Vista. Most of my co-workers that live in Fayetteville haven't had power since yesterday and The Morning News' building in Springdale is also still without power. There was no paper printed last night for today's edition and there wouldn't be one tomorrow if not for the gracious offer from our competition, The Democrat-Gazette, to print our Wednesday and Thursday editions for us. I've heard of competing papers sharing presses in the gulf states in the wake of hurricanes. It's really cool that, in light of the ongoing newspaper war here in NWA, differences can be set aside and adversaries can help one another get the job done. Thanks Dem-Gaz!

I spent today doing the same thing I did yesterday, enterprising around finding photos related to the ice storm. I found a better variety of photos today compared to yesterday. The lead photo is a Bentonville Electric Department crew working on repairing downed power lines.

/

/
Sledding at Country Club Golf Course in Bella Vista. The combination of light snow on top of more than an inch of hard ice made for perfect sledding conditions. I even broke out my Yankee Clipper sled in my basement when I got home from work and tried out the hill in my backyard. Let's just say I have bruises and I'll leave it at that.

/

/
A restaurant manager in Bentonville knocks icicles off of a neighboring business' awning.

/
More utility repair work.

/
A neighborhood street in Bentonville.

/
Hopefully things will be somewhat back to normal by this weekend. We are very fortunate to still have power here in Bella Vista when you consider all of the trees in our area. Of course we didn't get as much ice as Fayetteville and Springdale did. Yes, we were lucky.

1 comment:

Z-Man said...

Nice work but your photos still take too long to load.