Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fatal MVA

/
I covered a fatal two vehicle accident yesterday on U.S. 62 east of Garfield. The two lane highway is notorious for bad accidents. This was the first fatal I've shot in probably a year. I'm glad it's been that long. On fatal scenes you have to walk a fine line between doing your job, staying out of the emergency workers' way and being respectful of the deceased. It doesn't take much to set someone off in such an emotional, stress-filled environment. The State Police and firefighters on the scene were really nice. They shared information with me and allowed me to shoot whatever photos I wanted with the mutual understanding I wouldn't directly photograph the victim. I intentionally stayed on the public side of the blind in the photo above to convey the somber mood at the scene as the victim's body was removed from the mangled vehicle. I also stayed behind the blind so I myself wouldn't see the victim. After working this job for more than 13 years I've seen some horrible things and I can still recall each one of them vividly in my mind.

/
The man pictured above was one of the three survivors from the accident.

Man I hope the scanner stays quiet today.

No comments: