Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Atlanta Tornado


The Atlanta tornado happened last Friday night. I've been busy traveling and covering Arkansas basketball, and resting on the day and a half I had off between the SEC Tournament and traveling to the NCAA Tournament regional in Raleigh, N.C. So here I am finally posting these pics on my blog. I hit the streets the next day after the tornado hit the ATL. I had a limited amount of time to shoot before having to get ready for Arkansas' game that day at Georgia Tech. I stumbled across the lead photo while rounding a corner on my way back to my hotel. The guy is a security guard who was busy gawking at the damage done to a building adjacent to his.


Kentucky fans didn't have much else to do since they were shut out of the Wildcats' game against Georgia on Saturday so many took to the streets before and after the game touring the damage sites. What better way to skip out on shelling out $40 for the Georgia Aquarium than walking around checking out tornado damage. "Stop yer wining kids, this is a "nature" tour."


A worker cleans up debris at Centennial Park next to one of the fallen Olympic torches.


The tornado-damaged facade of the CNN building. I heard Wolf Blitzer was carried several blocks by the tornado and was found naked sitting on a barstool at the downtown Atlanta Hooters.


The tornado-damaged Westin Hotel tower.


The tornado-damaged Westin Hotel tower reflected in one of hundreds of pieces of broken glass littering a nearby sidewalk. There were dozens of people, mostly tourists with cameras checking out all the damage, walking around me as I shot this photo. Some thought I was crazy, some thought it was a "great angle" and one woman thought I was crazy for laying my other camera body, my 20D with 70-200, on the sidewalk next to me as I shot this photo. "Nah, I'm not crazy." I replied. "I'm from Arkansas."

3 comments:

Ken said...

I'm a sucker for reflections, the first and last shots are awesome.

Andy Shupe said...

Now no one can call you a hick for looking up "at all them buildins" in the city.

Ben Chrisman said...

nice reflection marc!!