Sunday, April 13, 2008

Roller Derby


Shot roller derby for the first time last night as a trade out for TMN graphics artist and designer of my future website Michelle "Sin" Obana. The NWA Roller Girls (Arkansas Killbillies and Backwoods Betties) had bouts against two out of town teams. Gotta say I enjoyed shooting roller derby. It was a fresh look at a sport I know nothing about. I shot tons of photos and this is just a small sample of them. I could have had even more photos but the skating rink was very dark and focusing was a major challenge. Lots of soft frames. I used two strobes set up at opposite corners of the rink to light the bouts.












My favorite part of roller derby came at the end of each bout. The teams do shake/slap hands at the end of a bout, but they also take a round lining up and slapping each others' asses as well. Of course football players slap each other on the ass during games too. And that of course is sooo wrong. But girls slappping each others' hiney's after a roller derby bout is as right as right gets.

3 comments:

Mark Buffalo said...

so, do they have a big ass wall like on Rollergames that was on TV back in the 80s?

Cool shots

Andy Shupe said...

Good times. They scare me but in a really cool sort of way.

Unknown said...

Cool stuff! Guess who finally posted on a blog?