Thursday, May 22, 2008

One Week Til Vacation


It's now a week and counting until I leave for the Philippines. Thought I would post a few random images from my last trip three years ago to show some uncommon sights that will be very common during my month-long vacation. This first image is a Jeepney station in Bagio City. Jeepneys are common, privately owned public transportation in the Philippines. The Jeepney is an adaptation of the American military Jeep from World War II which was used widely in the Philippines following the war.


Fishing boats. Mansalay, Alona's hometown, is a fishing town. I'll be eating lots of fresh seafood for the next month. :-)


Tricycle taxis. The second-most common form of transportation in the Philippines and also very inexpensive.


Electrical wires. The Philippines' public utility system would make an American utility worker's head spin. I've seen some electrical junctions resembling a big knotted ball of twine, scary. A "Brown Out" is a daily occurence in the Philippines, which really sucks when it's 98 degress outside and the air conditioner stops running during a brown out. That's the fun of being in the Philippines though, the unpredictability and learning to go with the flow. Can't wait.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I'm on vacation starting...NOW!

Does this mean you won't be in Arkansas when I stop by next weekend?

Marc F. Henning said...

Nope, won't be in Arkansas next weekend. I'll be on the other side of the world. Have a great visit back here in NWA Michael and I'll catch you the next time around. You will be coming back again right?