Sunday, June 10, 2007

BINGO Hates Me


So we went to Alona's employer's annual family picnic yesterday afternoon (TMN doesn't have a family picnic by the way). After chowing down on burgers and dogs there was a door prize drawing for employees and then BINGO for all. When I heard there was going to be BINGO I was immediately filled with apprehension. As a kid growing up my mom's employer held an annual BINGO night for years. We went every year and every year I never won anything. I don't recall my parents ever winning anything either. I came close scores of times, but never had the joyous opportunity to yell "BINGO!"

Anyway, when they announced BINGO at the picnic I was hopeful, yet pessimistic at the same time, about my chances. Even the damn cards were the same as I rememberered using when I was younger. We played round after round of straight BINGO with a game of Texas T BINGO thrown in to spice it up. They even went so far as to keep playing each game even when there was a winner to further the chances of others winning prizes. There was a table full of prizes ranging from company logoed coozies to a Barbie fishing pole to give away. Everyone around me won a prize including Alona and Sahar. One friend even won four or five times. She had a lapful of prizes (she even won the Barbie fishing pole). So when they announced there were only five prizes left near the end of the last game I had lost all hope. And then, there it was, G50, the last space in one of the diagonals on my card. They called it. I opened my mouth to yell "BINGO! JOYOUS BINGO" only to hear over the loudspeaker the announcement that there were no more prizes left and the game was over. Yep, BINGO hates me.



On a brighter note, Alona did win us a new folding chair (of which we already have four of) in the employee door prize raffle and a company logoed fleece blanket playing BINGO. Sahar also won a company logoed waterproof disposable camera playing BINGO. So all in all I did win something because when you have a family what is theirs is also yours as well.

1 comment:

Raffaele said...

I'm sure: what's yours is certainly theirs, but what's theirs is probabily yours too.