Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fruits Of My Labor


I know what you're thinking, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even letting the thought cross your mind.......Of course Japanese eggplant tastes just as good as regular eggplant. What? Just because they're Asian doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to penetrate deep into your taste buds and give you the same flavorful experience as an American eggplant.

These babies, also known as Ichibans, were grown in the garden in my backyard. I harvested them today and am quite proud of them, especially the 12-incher (remember, no laughing). They're the first of a bounty of Japanese eggplant, three varieties of tomatoes (Roma, Grape and Better Boys), red bell peppers and Tobasco peppers to soon be plucked from my 4'x8' garden. This is my first true vegetable garden, I planted it on May 24, and I couldn't be happier with the results thus far. Except for the freakin' Japanese beetles who keep eating the eggplant leaves (I hate those little pricks) I've had no problems. Alona has even told me how proud she is of my garden. She especially loves the eggplants (I said stop laughing). They're a very popular vegetable in most Asian countries and are actually quite tasty in stir fry, soups and mixed with egg in an omlete. Just let me know and I'll pluck you one of the 12-inchers and you can try it out for yourself (O.K., now I'm laughing).

3 comments:

Melissa said...

you're the weird one. :D

Wes Putt said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Okay... maybe I have some maturing to do. I couldn't help it.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

I really should have gone to the bathroom before reading this post.

Your blog is great.