Monday, July 16, 2007

From The Vault: Cockfighting in the Philippines


These photos are from a series I shot in the Philippines during my trip back in 2005. Cockfighting is the national sport of the Philippines so it was on my list of things to see and shoot during the 3-1/2 weeks I was there. It was a very interesting experience. I consider myself an animal lover and was surprised I wasn't bothered by what I saw. My honest feeling is at least the birds can fight for their survival. As long as a bird wins it lives and if it's really good it gets put out to rooster. Not a bad thing for an animal that will end up getting eaten anyway. As long as you kick ass you live. They're like little feathered gladiators.


On this day, Nelson, my brother-in-law, accompanied me to the cockfight in the countryside outside of Mansalay, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines. Mansalay is my wife's hometown. It's a small town on the island of Mindoro, the island directly south of the main Philippines island, Luzon, where Manila is located. It's very rural, deep, deep in the Philippines provincial countryside. I loved it. You can't just wander into the countryside as a foreigner and see things like this. It's not safe to do so. But if you have family and or a guide with you, basically if you're spoken for by a Filipino, then you're good. People are happy to meet you and talk to you. This was what a vacation is all about for me. Not sitting on a beach drinking Coronas or driving cross country to camp in some mountain forest. But stepping completely out of my comfortable American life and getting transplanted into a entirely unfamiliar, but altogether enticing environment. We're going back next year for a month and I can't wait.


You can see the whole 12-photo series in my Sportshooter gallery linked below:
www.sportsshooter.com/mhenning/cockfights

5 comments:

Michelle Hedegard said...

I like seeing photos of "my people". Ha! but the cockfighting makes me sad.

Nathan Allen said...

I just find it all extremely interesting, especially the other photos you had through the link you posted. Great post.

Unknown said...

Nice package, Marc. I enjoyed seeing it before and still enjoy it now

Neemah said...

Nice set of images! I guess you heard Louisiana just banned cockfighting, the last state to do so. Did you find out how or if they train these birds? Or is it pure instinct?

Marc F. Henning said...

i know some handlers treat their chickens better than their own children. they do train them. that's one of the things i want to further explore when we return next year. can't wait. i'll have more series' from the Philippines in further From the Vault posts.