Monday, July 2, 2007

From The Vault: Introducing Juno vom Schodak


This is my dog Juno. She's a 7-year-old purebred German shepherd and is, without question, the "Best Dog in the World." At least on my block she is, if you don't believe me just ask my neighbor's grandchildren. The first thing they want to do is play with Juno whenever they come to visit. One of the children even wrote a story about Juno in her first-grade class a couple of years ago. How many of you have a dog that has a story written about them? (silence....crickets) That's what I thought.


I named her Juno because she was born in a "J" litter from the breeder, Schodak Shepherds, where I got her from in 2000 in New Mexico. The name Juno comes from the mother Roman goddess, also known as Hera in Greek mythology. She is NOT named after the city in Alaska. Juno started her life to be trained in Schutzhund, the German shepherd dog sport similar to K-9 training. She received her first temperment and obedience certification at a year and a half and has since gone on to receive numerous titles in "Spoiled Brat" and "Lazy Dog." Her training halted in 2002 when I moved from New Mexico to Arkansas since I couldn't find a local Schutzhund club to join. She is now just a great family dog, loyal companion and my "Big Sweetie." She's basically like a child to me. I've include a couple more photos below.


Juno playing in the snow. She loves to catch snowballs and eat them.


Juno playing with her Kong at the park. You can get Juno to do just about anything if you have her Kong in your hand. It's like crack for dogs.


Juno and Sahar pose together for a snapshot at the Tanyard Creek waterfall in Bella Vista. Sahar and Juno are best buddies.

6 comments:

Nathan Allen said...

Cool post, makes me want to get a dog. And sooner rather than later, I will. I hope it's just like Juno, too!

Ben Chrisman said...

i miss that dog.

Marc F. Henning said...

she misses you too Ben. (:

you'll just have to pay us a visit some time, if your Rock Star schedule ever swings you through Arkansas. we'll hook up again one of these days.

Wes Putt said...

The snow-covered muzzle is my favorite. He looks so wild and uninhibited. Priceless!

Now, if I can just train our dog not to jump the fence like he did last night...

Melissa said...

I decided I want a German Shepard for my second dog. Think they get along well with pesky jack russell terrors?

Marc F. Henning said...

they get along well with anybody, man or beast. as long as you raise them right....kinda like people.